Monday, February 05, 2007

Book recommendation please!

Just tried to read "my" bookclub book (in quotes because I haven't actually been to a meeting yet) book for this month and got 10 pages into it and thought it was horrible. The writing was terrible, the story was unbelievable, too draumatic...so I put the book down. I would love a few book suggestions. Has to be pretty easy to read in 5 minute snippets. Any suggestions?

13 comments:

JohnnyHank said...

Lemony Snicket!!!!

Daniel Handler (Lemony Snicket's real name) has a fantastic book called Adverbs.

Kurt Vonnegut is good to read in short bits too.

Of course, ANYTHING published by the Wisconsin Historical Society Press is a good read. Buy 'em all! And subscibe to Wisconsin Magazine of History!

Anonymous said...

I know WHN is enjoying the sequel to Peter Pan.

Cath said...

Have you tried Alexander McCall Smith? He's smart and entertaining -- you could start with _The Number One Ladies Detective Agency_ (I can't remember if that's exact, but it's close) from which a series follows. He's written quite a bit, so if you like him, you're in luck...

If you like pretty surreal but very entertaining fiction, Haruki Murakami's latest books are great.

Catherine (Michael F's cohabitatrix)

crossons said...

Hobbled Wife here... I concur with the Alexander McCall Smith recommendation, although I'd recommend sticking with the Number One Ladies.... I must admit I did not enjoy his other ones nearly as much. I am currently reading a newish John Hassler title. Again, they are quick reads, not too terribly complex, but the writing is sophisticated, the characters are well developed, and the stories are entertaining. Given perspective-bringing events in my life, a little harmless, entertaining fiction is a good thing.

Elizabeth said...

Ladies' Number One Detective Agency you borrowed from me in San Diego but you didn't read it, Grad School and all. I love the series. They're quick reads and entertaining. I loved Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. It may be an Oprah Bookclub book but don't let that dissuade you.
http://www.hachettebookgroupusa.com/books/98/0316666343/index.html

jclseattle said...

i'm starting SNOW and could use a partner in crime.

but i mostly read young adult books, because my students read them and they CAN be read in snippets. you must read STAR GIRL.

amy said...

Thanks everyone for you great ideas! Keep them coming. I-man and I are gong to the library tomorrow, so we'll look for some of these...

JohnnyHank said...

Oh. Also Proust.

Elizabeth said...

If you're going to do Kurt Vonnegut I think you should start with Cat's Cradle. It's one my favorite of his and a quick read.

Anonymous said...

Dude, just watch American Idol like a normal person.

Elizabeth--I finished The Lovely Bones last night and liked it a lot, though it gave me creepy and colorful nightmares. I'd been avoiding it for five years because I make a policy of not doing anything that Oprah has told me I ought to do. :)

Off the beaten path, Katherine Mosby's The Season of Lillian Dawes was one of the best-written books I've read in years. As you know, Stuart Friebert taught me to recognize literary excellence, including but not limited to "Rent an owl."

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Elizabeth said...

lizard- I just ordered The Season of Lillian Dawes. Have you read The Time Traveler's Wife or Ahab's Wife? I enjoyed the later more than the former but they were both entertaining.

Anonymous said...

Nope, never read either. I will give them a look---thanks! Just as soon as we have our new American Idol, I mean....