Sunday, July 10, 2005

Roast beef sandwiches and Bacon

Drove the 5 hours back and forth to KY this weekend to see my father-in-law (step-father-in-law?). He was in the hospital after undergoing a CABG on Friday. CABG=coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Apparently he had ordered a roast beef sandwich for lunch at the office where they were doing his cardiac cath that morning (pre-op cardiac clearance for a GI surgery). The nurse said: "Uh oh..." They said: "What?" She then told them about her unscientific survey...all of the patients who ordered the roast beef sandwich before their cardiac cath ended up needing intervention. Because of the location of the blockage they couldn't just do a balloon and stent, they had to do the CABG. Yes, this surgery involves "cracking open the chest" and leaves quite an impressive scar. In the ambulance ride over to the hospital for intervention the nurse said: "I told you so". Makes you want to skip over the roast beef sandwich next time you're ordering lunch!

Bought the husband some potato salad on the drive back (he stayed in the car with the pup while I ran into the grocery store for lunch fixins). He made a strange face after the first bite..."it's different". I could see that it had shredded orange cheese in it...so I took a bite. I knew I recognized the taste, but it took me awhile to identify it. "Hmmm.....it must be smoked chedder in there". The husband took another bite and thought awhile...."No, that's bacon"! Yikes! You can't expect a vegetarian to be able to identify bacon taste after all these years!!!

No comments: