How very exciting that President Bush was in my little town yesterday. Chris said he even saw Air Force One fly over Notre Dame.
Actually, the only interesting thing I took from the news of his fundraising visit was the salsa recipe he apparently enjoys:
"GRANGER -- U.S. Rep. Chris Chocola just thinks he's the reason President Bush comes to St. Joseph County so often. The president's fascination with visiting here actually may have more to do with his taste for Astrid Domenick's "Don't Mess With Texas Salsa."
As everyone knows by now, the president will be at Bethel College in Mishawaka today to campaign for Chocola, R-2nd. It's the president's SEVENTH visit to the Michiana area in as many years.
Don't Mess With Texas Salsa
2 lbs. tomatoes, boiled, peeled and cored
1/2 large white onion, chopped
4 medium jalapeño peppers, toasted, peeled, seeds removed and chopped
2 small, red serrano peppers, chopped (optional)
3 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. finely chopped cilantro
3 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup olive oil
Chop the tomatoes in a blender. Sauté the onions, garlic and peppers in olive oil until cooked down a bit. Put the tomatoes in a stock pot. Add the cumin, salt, black pepper and cilantro to the tomatoes. Add the sautéed onion, garlic and peppers. Simmer for three hours to concentrate the flavor and reduce the acidity of the tomatoes. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve warm.
I may just have to make this and serve it at our party next week......I don't think I'll invite George doubl-yaa, though
Friday, February 24, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I really really home that Rep. Chocola has friends who call him 'Count Chocula' on occasion. I know I would.
Post a Comment