Sunday, October 09, 2005

Weekend update

Saw this in a newspaper article: "If you're a new parent, there will come a time when either you or your spouse will say these words: Let's take the baby to a restaurant" Now, to a normal, sane person; this statement is absurd. It's like saying: "Let's take a moose to the opera"."

Well....the husband took the Moose to the South Bend Symphony last night, not the opera. I think I was pretty well behaved. However, I've taken to burping a lot more lately (it's better than barfing, right!!!). Unlike my niece and brother, however, I am not skilled in "burping on command". I thought about apologizing in advance to the ochestra last night...but I did fine and was able to remain quiet through the whole thing. The most hilarious thing about the whole concert was the beginning. The conducter came on stage, we clapped, and then EVERYONE stood up....I mean EVERYONE. Chris and I looked at each other with confused looks. THEN THE ORCHESTRA BROKE OUT IN "The Star Spangled Banner" AND THE WHOLE AUDIENCE SANG ALONG. Can't say I've ever done that before at a symphony concert!!! Sure made it feel a bit like a baseball game. (speaking of baseball...I'm thinking Lizard and my dad are pretty happy about the Cardinals these days)

3 comments:

JohnnyHank said...

Why not "The Star Spangled Banner" at the symphony? They're singing hymns at the 7th inning stretch at the ballpark these days.
I want to start a movement to replace "God Bless America" with "This Land is Your Land" during baseball games. Who's with me?
I'll get you Bud Selig's address.

Anonymous said...

They sing the Star Spangled Banner before Lafayette Symphony concerts as well. I also found it a little odd; fortunately they don't do it every time.

Anonymous said...

It's standard issue at the Hollywood Bowl, too, but I didn't know we were now required to demonstrate our patriotism in song at INDOOR events too. Eek. In StL, I believe they're still standing strong against the peer pressure of the "God Bless America" movement, and singing "Meet Me In St. Louis" at the 7th-inning stretch.....WHICH YOU WILL ALL GET TO HEAR FOR YOURSELVES AS THE CARDINALS CONTINUE THEIR INEXORABLE MARCH TOWARD A WORLD SERIES VICTORY.

xox Lizard