Thursday, October 28, 2004

NOT ANOTHER WINTER STORM!

Another winter "storm" here in SD today! The news was all a buzz about it last night and warnings about morning traffic headaches and flooding. Remember, this is a desert out here and the soil doesn't really absorb the water. As I tried to fall asleep I thought about those REAL winter storms when I was a kid back in the midwest. A foot of snow falling over night and waking up to listen to WCCO and the "schools cancelled" list. What a feeling of freedom that was when they finally called your school! A whole day to romp in the snow! These poor kids out here in SD, never do get to experience that. Last year they did get off school for a week, but that was because of FIRE storms. Your house or your neighbor's house burning down doesn't have quite the same feeling....

(By the way, the stoooopid neighbors kept me up late with their porch-chatting and noise. The husband always seems to be out of town when they really act up. Last time I called the police on them....didn't feel quite that mean last night. The caffeine I had in the afternoon didn't help either....so I slept horribly. )

But alas, there is a higher power. I woke to the phone at 6am. Now, those that know me well, know that only ONE place calls me at 6am....WORK....but I picked it up anyway and was pleasantly surprised to hear my preceptor's voice instead of the night charge nurse. "Amy, it's M....I'm not going in today....my 2 year-old is sick and I don't want to lug the kids around in the rain today". Oh joy of joys!!!! That unexpected "YIPPEE I GET TO GO BACK TO SLEEP" morning!!!

Thank goodness for the winter storm!
-A

No comments: